Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cherries, Cherries, & A Cherry Pitter

Apricots, plums, blueberries, nectarines, peaches... but it still cherry time through June.  So enjoy some Bing and Rainier cherries but don't forget to try Brooks and Tieton.  My family has been enjoying all of these varieties.   

After getting tired of cutting and digging out the pit of cherries for my toddler I considered purchasing a cherry pitter, but I try not to buy any gadget/appliance that only has one purpose.  Oops, I guess my ice cream maker and Chinese hot pot fall into that category. 

In the end I never got around to looking for one.  But my mother-in-law surprised me with a cherry (de)pitter that pits four cherries at a time.  The Cherry-It by Progressive avoids splatters that a single pitter might make.

It's alittle big and it doesn't store flat if locked or unlocked (not sure what the point of that feature is because neither position keep the prongs in a closed position). 
Its designed to hold 4 large cherries or 4 small cherries but 8 can't be pitted at the same time.  If you put a small cherry in a large hole, it will get pitted but more of the flesh will get "pitted" too. 
It works like a guillotine.  After pressed, four metal prongs with a plus shaped tip snap down and spring back up.  Here are the pitted cherries minus one (someone couldn't wait until I took the picture).  It's easy to use and wash so we use it often when we have cherries.  It sure beats pitting them one by one, and now I get to enjoy them as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment