Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cherimoya

My First Impression: That's a strange vegetable. 
Gotcha! It's a FRUIT called Cherimoya.  I came across this little green brain shaped tropical fruit in May at the end of its season, so I hope you don't feel teased that you'll have to wait until next year to try it. 

Well I wanted to spotlight this little fruit when it was still available but I couldn't remember what it was called even after asking twice.  When I tried to convince my husband to taste it, his simple question of  "What's it called?" resulted in words like "chitamoo" and "chatanuga" coming out out mouth.  Not a very convincing first impression.  But when I told him I splurged at $5.00lb that was convincing enough for him to try it. 
At the FM,  I was eavesdropping (to learn of course) on another cherimoya newbie.  The vendor described it as a mix of mango, pineapple, and banana.  After seeing our interest, he broke out a knife and gave us a sample.  Yum-o, just like candy.   

When I purchased my cherimoya, it still needed a day or two to ripen until it felt like a ripe avocado.  I think mine was alittle over ripened.  This variety of cherimoya had thin smooth skin. 
Once cut, it gave off a refreshing sweet aroma to reveal dime-sized brown seeds nestled among the white flesh.  The texture was kind of mushy (might of been over ripened) but melted in your mouth.  It tasted very sweet and tropical but not like a pineapple, mango, or banana.  Maybe I should make myself a smoothie to see if it taste like all three because none of those flavors stand out it in a cherimoya.  

My whole family thought it was very tasty, but by the end we were alittle overwhelmed by the fruit's sweetness.  Maybe as a sherbet or mixed in a fruit salad next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment